Friday, September 6, 2013

The First Week Alone (9/5/13)


Hi again!

I have almost made it through my first week of teaching by myself!  I must say, it is much more challenging than I ever would have imagined!  I am exhausted!  For the past two nights Emily and I stayed at the school very late in order to get our classrooms set up for the open house that took place tonight.  Open house was a success, so that was great!

In order to create our beach-themed classroom for open house and the rest of the year, the first graders and I made fish to hang from the ceilings, painted fish on the white walls, filled the open fireplace space with seashells, and hung blue streamers to resemble curtains from the windows.  With the help of local artists, we also painted beach scenes on the walls.  By the end, our room really felt like the beach!  In order to make the room more cozy and classroom-like, I (with the help of some other Costa Verde staff), rearranged the classroom furniture.  Although there was not an ample amount of furniture, we rearranged it so that the students have a rug/carpet area, a work area, a cubby area, a game playing area, and a reading area.  In turn, I also have a desk area with a book shelf behind it for all my teaching books and supplies.  Going through the process of rearranging the classroom was a very important experience for me because setting up a classroom to create an ideal learning environment is not as easy as it looks—especially when space is limited.  There are so many small details to think about, such as: Should I leave the games out at all times or store them away until it is game time?  Are all of my books appropriate for the reading levels of my classroom?  Is there space for students work to be displayed?  I was reminded to think about all of these things as I was setting up this classroom.  All of the hard work was not in vain, however, because when the students came into school this morning they were so excited about how their classroom now looked!  They loved all the different areas.  Because there were different sections in the classroom, they felt like they had a bigger classroom.

Another thing that I noticed about rearranging the classroom so that it feels as if there are different sections/rooms is that it keeps the students on task more.  Before rearranging the furniture and materials, students had easy access to the books and games.  Because they had easy access to these items, they naturally would play with them instead of doing their work or listening to instructions.  I found myself constantly having to remind them of what they were supposed to be doing and focusing on.  That all changed however once the room was rearranged so that there were section-like areas in it.  Because the students could not see the books or easily reach the games, they had to focus on the tasks at hand.  Therefore, we accomplished more work today.  Having a square rug on the floor also gave them a visual cue and reminder as to where they were supposed to be seated while we were doing whiteboard work.  As a result, there was a lot less wandering around.  It was also very helpful to have a table in the library section of the classroom and in the game section of the classroom.  Having two extra tables gave me space to work with small groups during reading time and gave students some extra space to complete work in the event that they were being easily distracted.  I am so glad to have had the opportunity of setting up a classroom.  I am now a true believer that thoughtful arrangement of materials and furniture in a classroom can motivate students and contribute to their academic and social success in school.

Although I had a lot of fun and exciting moments during this week of teaching, I have been struggling a lot with language barriers.  Because I do not speak Spanish fluently and because very few of my first-grade students speak English, it feels hard to teach—especially English Language Arts.  It is hard to teach students who do not speak English how to write and read in English.  Furthermore, classroom management has been a bit difficult because I’m not always sure how to say the words I need in Spanish and when I speak them in English, the students do not always respond.  Right now, I am working on the alphabet—letter by letter—with the first-graders since the alphabet is a bit different in English than it is in Spanish.  This seems to be a good place to start.  However, I feel as if I am running out of fun activities to do with it, and the students are beginning to get bored.  I also feel bad because some students already know the alphabet well in English so the work is a little too easy for them.  It is very hard to meet everyone’s needs.  I am still figuring out the best way to reach this goal when there is only one of me.  I think centers would be a great idea and tool so long as I had a good system that helped the students manage themselves.  Currently, I am still figuring out how to make that happen in a way that is appropriate for their age and developmental level.

All and all, this week has been lots of learning for me!  It is much different to have to plan, assess, set-up, and manage a classroom all alone than it is coming in and working in another teacher’s classroom.  I feel that my eyes have been opened even more to the complexities of teaching.

The fish the first graders painted on the wall.

The completed fish scene.

Part of our beach mural.

No comments:

Post a Comment